Teaching kids to love God is an active, messy–and not always easy–process, but it is so beautiful when we see godly confidence in a child’s heart!
Here are four extremely helpful ways to teach confidence to kids by teaching children about God and the Bible.
Raising children to love God requires a lifelong layering of biblical truth, but the foundation for teaching kids godly confidence begins with helping them understand how to study the Bible.
That’s why I’m excited to give you a free 3-session video course that shows you a simple Bible study method so that your kids can study the Bible (and get closer to God) in only a few minutes a day.
Why Teaching Kids Confidence Starts with Teaching Kids to Love God
Why is teaching kids to love God so important? And why is teaching children about God’s love an integral part of raising confident kids?
Bottom line: If we don’t help kids develop a deep love for God, then faith simply becomes religion. Religion is not active, living faith that serves as a source of deep confidence, wisdom and direction. Only a growing relationship with God can provide this kind of guidance and hope.
And a child’s confidence? Without a deep love for God, kids learn to trust in themselves and to follow their own passions instead of godly wisdom.
Kids who are only taught self-confidence find their hope and joy based on their changing emotions and the opinions of those around them.
Self-confidence is fleeting and continually shifting based on the circumstances. But when we teach our kids to base their confidence on what God’s promises are for them, we give them a stable, firm foundation on which to build every part of their lives.
And the only way to develop a strong, solid foundation on God’s promises is to teach kids how to fall in love with God through every season of life (the good, the bad and the ugly).
There Are No Perfect Formulas for How to Teach Confidence to Kids
I don’t want to simplify teaching kids to love god (and to develop godly confidence) into a simple formula because:
- Each child is different;
- Teaching kids to love God is a divine task that requires the Holy Spirit’s divine work; and
- There are no guarantees in raising children!
However, I’d argue that these four principles create a great foundation for godly confidence for kids. Teaching kids confidence starts with teaching children they are loved by God!
Is raising your child to love God a priority for your parenting? If so, I encourage you to prayerfully consider these ideas on how to increase confidence in children by teaching children about God’s love .
Practical Ways to Teach Kids Confidence By Teaching Them About God’s Love
1) Grow kids confidence by teaching them to love God and to treasure the Bible.
- Share with them early and often about God’s amazing promises for them in the Bible.
- When they ask tough questions, dive together into God’s word for the answers.
- Show them how to find joy and comfort in Scripture when life is challenging.
- Teach kids that they are loved by God just for being who they are–no strings or conditions attached.
- Don’t just tell your kids “Jesus loves you.” Share your life with them so that they know why a relationship with Jesus changes everything.
- Remind that God is using their greatest life trials to make them into a beautiful masterpiece.
2) Build godly confidence in kids by showing them how to have a daily quiet time with God.
My husband and I have taught our kids a simple method for not just reading the Bible but deeply understanding God’s truth.
It’s called the 5Rs Bible Study Method™ and it’s something I developed because I wanted an easy, simple way to teach my kids to study the Bible (and to learn how to apply scriptural principles to daily life).
You can teach your kids this simple Bible study method too!
Teaching kids how to study scripture is essential for teaching kids to love God!
And I know this simple, powerful Bible study method will make it easy for your kids to grow closer to God too through a daily quiet time. Don’t miss it!
3) Host a family Bible time several days each week with your kids.
While I believe the ultimate goal is for kids to develop their own daily quiet time with God, we also believe that family devotions are incredibly important too for teaching children how to understand and apply God’s word to their lives.
The Be Loved 5Rs Bible Study™ Resources (based on the 5Rs Bible Study™ Method taught in the free teaching series I’ve already mentioned) are a fantastic way for families to learn together how to love God.
Each day, both kids and adults analyze a Bible verse in the Be Loved 5Rs Bible Study™ Journal using the 5Rs Bible Study™ Method. There’s 6 weeks worth of Bible verses (30 total Bible verses about love) and each week is themed around a specific aspect of God’s love.
Then, once a week families discuss what they’ve learned using the corresponding Be Loved 5Rs Bible Study™ Guide. This companion resource to the journals has discussion questions, journaling prompts and additional scriptures on God’s love so that you can really teach kids about God’s love (and build their confidence).
Go here to purchase these incredible Bible study resources that are perfect for teaching kids to love God!
4) Model what it looks like to have authentic faith in Christ.
Let your kids see you reading your Bible and praying through every life season. Let them witness how you have self confidence only based on the everlasting promises of God.
Don’t be afraid to share with your kids what you struggle with and to share your mistakes! Our kids need to know that faith can be messy.
May teaching these truths to your kids assure them of God’s great love and impart a beautiful, godly self-confidence that can never be taken away.
I’m praying for you as we labor together to grow happy, confident kids who find their self-worth in God’s love and promises!
Other Posts on Teaching Kids to Love God
- How to Teach Confidence to Kids (11 Truths for Christian Parents)
- Simple Bible Study Method for Kids
- A Letter to My Daughter About Being a Christian Woman
- How to Teach Your Kids About Biblical Wisdom
- #1 Way to Teach Kids About God’s Love
- 3 Keys to Easy Scripture Memorization for Kids
Don’t forget to download the free video teaching!
I’ll show you step by step how to teach your kids to love God by helping them learn how to study the Bible.
You don’t want to miss this! It’s my free gift to you to help with teaching your kids to love God!