Character training is a huge aspect of how my husband and I parent our kids. However, the foundational character quality we encourage above all else? Wisdom for kids.
We want our kids to be surrounded by words of wisdom, especially words of wisdom from the bible.
The Bible says in Proverbs 4:8: “Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment.”
What are some great strategies for teaching kids about wisdom?
And what are some great Bible verses about wisdom for kids? And how can we teach kids about how to apply and understand wisdom Bible verses?
Let’s discover more about biblical wisdom for kids in this post!
10 Reasons Why Biblical Wisdom for Kids Is So Important
Wisdom is the source of all the character traits! It’s the foundational piece from which all other spiritual growth springs.
Here are 10 reasons why teaching kids about wisdom should be the highest priority for any Christian parent.
- Proverbs 9:11-12 says that wisdom will “multiply your days and add years to your life.”
- Wisdom was created before any other aspect of our world was created (Proverbs 3:19, 8:22-31). God established the concept of wisdom, and then built everything else on that core principle.
- Wisdom is so important to God that He demonstrates to all people at all times through the natural world (Romans 1:18-20). Proverbs 1:20 describes wisdom personified as someone “calling out in the streets” to all who pass by.
- Biblical wisdom fills our hearts with joy and is a tree of life (Proverbs 2:10, 3:13, 18).
- Wisdom is more valuable than anything else in the world (Proverbs 3:14-15).
- Wisdom from the Bible reminds kids of how to live and encourages them to make good choices, even when tempted by evil people or their own sinful desires (Proverbs 2:10, 12).
- If we teach kids to treasure God’s wisdom, Proverbs 4:6-8 promises that wisdom will protect our kids and bring them honor.
- According to Proverbs 19:8, wisdom is a way to love yourself.
- True prosperity is found when we seek God’s wisdom over fame or riches (2 Chronicles 1:10-12).
- Proverbs 4:7 says that “getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do.”
What will happen to a society when a generation of kids are raised to cherished words of wisdom from the Bible? Teaching our kids about wisdom is a wonderful way to install godly confidence in their hearts!
The enemy wants to attack our kids by blinding them from true biblical wisdom. That’s why I’d argue that by making biblical wisdom a priority in our parenting we can raise confident, wise children who change the world!Give your kids godly confidence by teaching them about wisdom in the Bible. Get this ultimate list of Bible verses about wisdom for kids!Click To Tweet
4 Ways to Encourage Biblical Wisdom in Kids
We must help our kids learn about wisdom and then teach our kids how to apply wisdom in their lives.
Developing wisdom in kids is not a one-time teaching session, however. True, lasting wisdom is best conveyed a little a time throughout a child’s life.
What are some practical strategies for Christian parents to teach kids about wisdom in the Bible?
1. Teach your kids how to study wisdom bible verses.
Click here to get a free bookmark for an easy, 5 step method that teaches kids how to study the Bible!
This simple-yet-powerful method is called the 5Rs Bible Study Method™ and it makes it easy for kids to understand and apply biblical truth to their life.
Best of all, the 5Rs Bible Study Method™ makes it easy to create the habit of a daily quiet time for kids.
2. Encourage kids to memorize Bible verses about wisdom.
These two posts have great resources and ideas on how to teach biblical wisdom to kids through scipture memorization:
3. Model godly wisdom in your own life.
Share about your temptations to make poor choices, and how wise or unwise decisions in your life have resulted in specific certain life circumstances. Talk to your kids regularly about how godly wisdom keeps you on the right path.
Be open and honest with your kids about how God’s wisdom has proven true for you!
4. Surround your kids with others who seek to apply God’s wisdom to their life.
Get your kids connected with other Christian families who are also striving to teach their kids about wisdom. If your kids are in middle school or high school, encourage them to develop friendships with a youth pastor or other godly young adult that can teach them about wisdom.
These wisdom-role-models for kids don’t have to necessarily be in-real-life friendships, however.
Expose your kids to inspiring stories of those who have followed God’s wisdom with books series like Christian Heroes: Then and Now; audio dramas like those in this post: 47 Best Christian Audio Stories for Kids; and this list of children’s books and movies that teach kids perseverance.
38 Bible Verses About Wisdom for Kids
Enjoy helping your kids understand godly wisdom by sharing these Bible verses together! I’ve divided the verses into different aspects of wisdom.
You could even create a mini Bible study about wisdom by going through each of these verses using the 5Rs Bible study method.
Again, you can get a free bookmark printable with the 5Rs Bible Study Method! Go here to download the bookmark so that your kids have an easy way to study biblical wisdom.
Wisdom is Available to Everyone:
- Proverbs 8:1-3
Wisdom Is Found By Those Who Seek It:
- Proverbs 8:17
- James 1:5
Wisdom Is Highly Valued by God:
- Proverbs 8:10-11
- 1 Kings 3:9-13
Wisdom Is Foundational:
- Proverbs 24:3-4
God’s Wisdom Is Supreme:
- 1 Corinthians 1:18-31
- 1 Corinthians 3:19
Wisdom is Found in God:
- Proverbs 1:7
- Proverbs 2 (entire chapter)
- Proverbs 9:10
- Job 12:13
- Job 28:23-28
- Daniel 2:20
- 1 Corinthians 2:4-7
- Colossians 2:3
- Revelation 7:12
Wisdom will Protect and Guard:
- Proverbs 2:11
- Proverbs 4:6
- Proverbs 28:26
- Acts 6:10
Wisdom Is a Choice:
- Proverbs 3:5-7
- Proverbs 7:4
- Proverbs 17:24
Wisdom Brings Joy:
- Proverbs 3:18
- Proverbs 4:5-9
- Proverbs 19:8
Wisdom Is Evident Through Actions:
- Proverbs 14:33
- Proverbs 18:4
- Matthew 11:19
- Luke 7:35
- 2 Timothy 3:15
- James 3:13-18
Wisdom Is Meant to Be Shared:
- Colossians 1:28
- Colossians 3:6
Jesus Is Wisdom Personified:
- Jeremiah 23:5
- Luke 2:40
- Luke 2:52
Other Posts About Teaching Kids About Wisdom
- 9 Tips for Raising Kids Who Change the World
- Why I’m Not Teaching My Kids Not to Have Self-Confidence
- Ultimate List of Children’s Books and Movies About Perseverance
- Simple 5 Step Method for Kids Bible Study (Free Bookmark)
- How to Teach Children About Biblical Joy
And don’t forget to download your free 5Rs Bible Study Method™ bookmark! It’s my gift to you in helping you teach biblical wisdom to kids!