5 Areas the Enemy Wants to Attack Your Kids
Area #2: Body Image/Sexuality
We want our kids to have a deep reverence for the intricate way their unique body is formed, and because of this respect, we want our kids to grow up honoring their bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit who value purity and sexual abstinence until marriage.
The Enemy’s Tactics:
- He tells our kids that they’re not uniquely made, but that they’re simply a result of a random combination of genes that’s taken millions of years to create.
- He convinces our kids that they are mere animals with physical desires that deserve to be met, and that sexual pleasure is just one of those desires that should be fulfilled without any emotional attachment.
- He convinces some that perhaps God made a mistake in giving them the wrong gender, leading to all kinds of deep identity issues about what it means to be male and female.
- He uses television and the media to oh-so-subtly promote certain body shapes as ideal over others. He convinces them that every measure must be taken to achieve these ideal body images, including those that lead to eating disorders and drug abuse.
How You Can Pray for Your Kids:
- Pray that your kids would treasure their sexuality as a true gift from God, and that they would honor that gift by saving it as a precious treasure to give their future spouse.
- Pray that God would help your kids choose purity in the face of temptation in order to respect God, themselves and others they may harm through pre-marital sexual activity.
- Pray that your kids would understand deeply that they were made specifically as male or female for a purpose and that there is nothing about their bodies that is a “mistake.”
- Pray for protection from the idea that your kids must do anything and everything (including eating disorders, drug abuse, or other harmful behaviors) in order to attain a “preferred” shape or figure.
Scriptures to Teach:
Additional Helpful Resources:
Sex Isn’t the Problem (Lust Is)
What Are You Waiting For?
Six Ways to Keep the Little in Your Girl
Our enemy uses some pretty insidious approaches in the next area (Area #3).
Check them out here (and learn how you can fight back)!