It seems surprising, but giving thanks is actually a touchy subject for most people.
That’s because, if we’re willing to be honest, many of us have trouble giving authentic thanks.
Sure, we can send thank you cards and politely say “thank you” when we’re given a gift. And during the Thanksgiving season, we’re all expected to be as full of thankfulness as our stomachs are as full of pumpkin-themed dishes.
But when it comes to being thankful for the real stuff of life–the complex tapestry of people, events and circumstances that fill our everyday thoughts–giving thanks can get a whole lot more complicated.
It’s not because we’re ungrateful. I think many of us long to give heartfelt, genuine gratitude for every part of life.
Instead, tons of emotional baggage–and loads of questions like these–get in the way of authentic thanksgiving:
- What does it really mean to live a thankful life? What does that look like in a world filled with pain and suffering?
- Why do we have to give thanks, especially to God? Doesn’t He know we’re thankful?
- How can I thank God for the trial that I’m enduring? If I say thank you for something, do I have to accept that it’s good and that I like it?
- Does giving thanks really matter? How can one thankful heart make a difference in the world?
These are all normal, healthy, awesome concepts to ponder about having a true heart of thankfulness! We don’t need to be afraid of these questions. We should be asking them.
In fact, I’d argue that they are the very path God uses to help us discover His wisdom about giving authentic thanks in every life season.
Free “Giving Thanks” Bible Study
I’d like to help you discover authentic thanksgiving right now!
I want to give you a gift–a 5-day “Giving Thanks” Bible Study–that will allow you to start working through these deeper issues around having a thankful heart.
The free “Giving Thanks” Bible Study utilizes my 5Rs Bible study method, which is an inductive study method for everyone from kids to adults that allows for deep understanding and application of God’s word.
I’ve heard from hundreds of people all over the world about how the 5Rs method has changed how they study and apply God’s Word to their lives, and I’m so excited to see how this study using the 5Rs can change your life too!
This Bible study is perfect as:
- an individual study for adults
- a study for a husband and wife to do together (Pssst… here’s tips on how to make couples Bible study a reality in your marriage!)
- a study for tweens/teens to do independently
- a family study where everyone shares and grows together
If you have kids younger than 7 in your family (who may not be ready yet for an inductive Bible study), the free “Giving Thanks” Bible Study also includes a blank drawing/writing page where young children can copy the verse and draw a picture of what the verse it about.
And because it’s only five days long, the “Giving Thanks” Bible Study can be completely quickly and adapted into a family’s already busy schedule.
Of course, Thanksgiving is a natural time to go through the study, but really “Giving Thanks” is an excellent study anytime of the year!
Other Resources on Giving Thanks:
P.S. Did you download your copy of the study yet? Why not… it’s free! It’s my gift to you!
And please be sure to pin this post so that others can hear about the free giving thanks Bible study too!